Monday, September 20, 2010

List of Cellists

For my cello students, I think it is essential that they know their cello lineage, their cello ancestry, and the history of our instrument.  It’s amazing, as vast and storied as the history of the cello is, how interconnected we all are.  In most cases, the laws of six degrees of separation are more like two or three degrees in the cello world.  For example, in my case, my wonderful teachers studied with Casals, Alexanian, Starker, Navarra, Feuermann, Salmond and Rowell; my grandfather, who was a cellist, studied with Klengel in Leipzig.  You get my point; we are all closely linked through the web of cello history.

I’ve begun compiling a list of the cellists that I want my students to know, listen to, read about and learn from.  So I sat down and jotted down a list of the first 60 cellists that came to my mind.  For the cellists from the 20th century, when I see their names, I immediately think of their sounds and styles from the concerts and recordings I grew up listening to. 

So here you go:

Claus Adam
Diran Alexanian
Paul Bazelaire
Hugo Becker
Luigi Boccherini
Jean Baptiste Breval
Carter Brey
Anner Bylsma
Pablo Casals
Gaspar Cassado
Orlando Cole
Friedrich Dotzauer
J.P. Duport
Jacqueline DuPre
Emmanuel Feuermann
Pierre Fournier
Auguste Franchomme
Raya Garbousova
Maurice Gendron
David Geringas
Georg Golterman
Bernard Greehouse
F.W. Grutzmacher
Natalia Gutman
Lynn Harrell
Beatrice Harrison
Steven Isserlis
Antonio Janigro
Marc Johnson
Paul Katz
Julius Klengel
Maria Kliegel
Anton Kraft
Joel Krosnick
Friedrich Kummer
Yo-Yo Ma
Mischa Maisky 
Frank Miller
Truls Mork
Andre Navarra
Zara Nelsova
Alfredo Piatti           
Gregor Piatigorsky
Aldo Parisot
William Pleeth
David Popper
Gabor Rejto
Carl Romberg
Leonard Rose
Mstislav Rostropovich
Margaret Rowell
Felix Salmond
Heinrich Schiff
Harvey Shapiro
Luigi Silva
David Soyer
Janos Starker
W.H. Squire
Paul Tortelier
Laszlo Varga
Peter Wispelwey


No comments:

Post a Comment